• Jan 16, 2021
    Today's feature is a non-user facing feature: allowing tanzawa to be configured using a .env file via django-environ. Beyond letting me keep production settings / paths / secret keys out of git or keeping a separate settings.py for production, it also let me enable secure session cookies. Secure cookies with some apache/nginx configuration allows the url generated when you upload an image use https instead of http, which keeps the padlock in your browser locked.
  • Jan 15, 2021
    Today I fixed image generation on linux ( turns out image/webp isn't recognized by python mimetypes on linux yet? ). I've also added permalinks for all posts. This will allow me to link directly to posts manually, but also sets me up for syndication and webmentions.

    Progress may be slowed next week as my laptop might be getting its battery replaced.
  • Jan 14, 2021
    Dynamic image format conversion is working nicely. I added a new feature to the image processing this morning as well.Β  Rather than just strip geo data, I'm removing all exif data.

    However, it also occurred to me that you may want to display a subset of that data on your website e.g. which camera the photo was taken with etc... So I'm saving all exif data to json before stripping it from the file itself. This should allow you to expose only the data you want explicitly in your templates. πŸ™ŒπŸ»

  • Jan 13, 2021
    Adopting new image formats (webp/avif/apng) in place for legacy formats (jpeg/png/gif) is an area where websites simultaneously increase quality and reduce transfer size.Β  I've got dynamic file format conversion working locally so browsers that support the new formats will automatically get the smallest file possible and older clients fallback to legacy formats. Just needs a bit more massaging before I merge it.
  • Jan 09, 2021
    Merged in support for images! I'm rewriting the html provided by trix to make all images automatically load lazily without Javascript. It's also marking which files are associated with which posts so we can monitor for unused files.

    Lazy loading images to save unnecessary image downloads.
  • Jan 08, 2021
    Serving media is working. Initially wanted to use X-Accel-Redirect to serve media, but that's an nginx-only feature and would add complexity to deploy. Decided to serve using a django FileResponse instead.
  • Jan 07, 2021
    Upload to working. Basic micropub media endpoint working.
  • Jan 06, 2021
    File models and geospactial settings finished. upload handler coded but not tested yet.
  • Jan 06, 2021
    Starting to implement file upload support after planning yesterday. SpatiaLite looks super cool, totally going to use it.
  • Jan 05, 2021
    Planned out support for images and media uploads. It's a little complex, but it should provide a lot of flexibility going forward. 
  • Jan 04, 2021
    Next on the Tanzawa task list, I need to decide how I want to handle images and what the (minimum) image processing pipeline will look like.
  • Jan 03, 2021
    Got my first version of Tanzawa up and running. Super excited.
Made with care in Yokohama by @jamesvandyne